- General Policies for All Photographers
- Non-Professional Photography
- Tripod Fee
- Photo Credit
- Photo Rights & Usage
- Using and Selling Photos of the Garden
- Garden Photographer Membership
- Photography and Video Shoots
- Respecting Garden Photo Policies
We ask all photographers to please honor these policies when using the Portland Japanese Garden as a backdrop for any photography or filming.
- The Garden does not allow portrait photography*.
- Please stay on the pathways at all times.
- Keep all equipment (including tripods) on pathways.
- We are a smoke-free and cellphone-free environment.
- We do not allow food, drinks (other than bottled water), or pets in the Garden.
- Because we are a facility open to the public, we ask that you not block any pathways or garden areas.
- Please do not climb trees, enter waterfall areas, or step into raked sand gardens.
- Please do not touch or move plant life. Do not hang backpacks or props on trees or plants.
- There is a $5.00/person charge for using a tripod for anyone who is not a Garden Member.
- The Garden assumes no responsibility for loss, theft, or damage to equipment. Take valuables with you when you park your car.
The Portland Japanese Garden maintains the right to adjust these policies, in specific instances, in the best interests of the Garden and the general public.
Definition of Portrait Photography
The Portland Japanese Garden defines portrait photography as all family portraits, wedding, senior, and engagement portraits, and any other posed portraiture of individuals by professional photographers or amateur photographers acting as professionals. The Portland Japanese Garden reserves the right to further define Portrait Photography on a case-by-case basis.
You are welcome to take photographs of the Garden for your own use and enjoyment, but please observe the rules in our General Photography Policies. Photographers intending to sell their images must follow the rules regarding Photographer Membership fees or Photography and Video Shoots. Photographers not intending to sell their images will be asked to sign a waiver to that effect.
There is a $5.00 per-person fee for all non-members entering the Garden with a tripod.
The Portland Japanese Garden requires the location credit “Portland Japanese Garden, Portland, OR” in all uses of Garden photos in print, on the web, in broadcast, and in any other public medium.
The Portland Japanese Garden allows promotional usage of photos taken in the Garden by its current Photographer Members. The Portland Japanese Garden uses the images of a small group of sanctioned photographers for their marketing materials. The Garden at times also requests from Photographer Members Garden images for promoting, marketing, and advertising the Garden. We welcome the submission of Portland Japanese Garden images from all Photographer Members at any time. Please contact Marketing at email@example.com for information about uploading photos for review.
Any photographer who intends to use images of the Portland Japanese Garden for commercial, advertising, or promotional purposes is required to pay $150 fee for a one-year Photographer Membership or submit a Photography and Video Shoot Application. Without payment of the fee and/or application approval, it is strictly forbidden to sell or use images taken of the Portland Japanese Garden or the Portland Japanese Garden logo for commercial or promotional activities, which include but are not limited to publishing; marketing; educational materials; products and retail merchandise; general and web advertising; broadcast; or any situation where the photographer is paid for the use of the image.
The Portland Japanese Garden is pleased to offer our Photographer Membership for professional and amateur photographers. This special membership provides benefits created specifically for photographers. To learn more about this membership and its benefits please ask at the Admission Gate or visit our Photographer Membership page.
The Portland Japanese Garden reviews requests for photography and video shoots on a case-by-case basis. Fees for shoots begin at a minimum of $500. Because work in the Garden by the gardening staff is a year-round necessity and because the Garden hosts many events, dates available for shooting are extremely limited.
When on the Garden’s premises, we ask that you honor our photo policies which reflect our commitment to protecting the aesthetics, beauty, and delicate nature of our Garden. Those who do not comply will be asked to leave without a refund of their fee. The Garden maintains the right to adjust these policies in specific instances to protect the best interests of the Garden.